Create a trusting relationship between you and your dog by building a strong learning foundation which will last a lifetime!
Did you acquire a new puppy in your life? Did you know the critical socialization window for a puppy is under 6 months of age?
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy stands for Socialization, Training, Activity, and Responsibility and is the perfect place to start teaching your puppy proper socialization and basic manners. Do not wait, as early training is one of the best ways for socializing and will help create a confident adult dog and keep your dog from being fearful or aggressive in the future.
Our Puppy Fundamentals / S.T.A.R. Puppy class will address topics such as:
Responsible pet ownership
House and Crate training
Prevention of unwanted behaviors such as chewing and play biting
Introduction to grooming
Socialization to new friendly strangers, other puppies, novel objects
Help build your puppy’s confidence in various situations
Plus much more….
In addition to focusing on socialization, the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy, we begin teaching the foundation for basic skills such as sit, down, stay, come, and loose leash walking. Below you’ll find the ‘20 Steps for Success’ list for a complete look at their program.
This class is for all breed puppies 6 months and younger and does require age-appropriate vaccinations and an annual fecal test performed by your veterinarian. Our certified professional trainers at Paws Plus You strives to give ample time to the handlers and students and will work with you individually to help you solve problems specific to your puppy.
Paws Plus You uses force free and fear free positive reinforcement training methods which are easy to follow and very effective. Based on current scientific evidence, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior recommends that only reward-based training methods are used for all dog training, including the treatment of behavior problems. Our goal is to give you and your puppy the tools to respond to situations in a positive way to maintain a happy successful life for the entire family.
Classes are held at Pet Supplies Plus in Lapeer which offers a unique learning setting. Because the training is done within a public store, there may be a level of noise & distraction that you wouldn’t otherwise have at our other location, The Lodge for Pampered Pets in Metamora. We will maximize on this opportunity so your puppy can start their real world experience which is crucial to their learning to focus.
Class is one hour per week for 6 consecutive weeks on Thursday afternoons from 4-5pm. After completing the six classes, you and your puppy will be eligible to have your AKC Approved instructor conduct the S.T.A.R. puppy assessment. Upon passing the test, you’ll get an application to AKC for enrollment so your puppy can receive an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy certificate, beautiful gold medal, and be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R Puppy records.
There will be a set lesson plan each week.
You will be given several handouts and homework assignments as well.
The last day of our Puppy Preschool class we will have a graduation celebration with a diploma given to each pup!
This class will consist of 2 trainers and a maximum of 4 dogs in each class. Owners are expected to bring a hungry puppy, training treats, bed or blanket, grooming brush or comb, poop bags, and a fun toy. All pups attending class should be on a 6 foot leash attached to a collar or harness (no shock, prong, or chain collars allowed in class). All of these items can be purchased at Pet Supplies Plus.
**No aggressive or reactive dogs in class please. If your puppy is experiencing reactivity, please reach out to us to discuss other options.**
If you are interested in enrolling your puppy in our class, please sign up today! If you see that a class is sold out, please contact us as we keep a waiting list for future students,or we may be able to accommodate you in a different class.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy: 20 Steps for Success
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program focuses on all the things every puppy and owner needs to have a great start together.
STAR stands for Socialization, Training, Activity and a Responsible owner and in six weeks of STAR puppy classes, puppies and dogs learn the following behaviors and skills:
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy prepares pups to move on to Canine Good Citizen training. For example, in STAR, puppies must walk on a leash in a straight line. In CGC, the task becomes more advanced with dogs walking in a pattern that includes right and left turns and stops.